Pages

Sunday 1 September 2013

Week 7 - A Liberation Tea-Party

Monday

Ok so it was Bank Holiday Monday and therefore I thought my day would have consisted of eating, sleeping and watching Buffy. But then I remembered I had an online meeting with Hollaback! HQ about the new Hollaback! ULU Website. They've been really helpful and it was great to be able to talk to them about all the ideas I had about creating accessible reporting systems on campuses in London. Theres still a couple of weeks until the website launches so hold onto your seats.





Tuesday
For all of you who don't know alongside my role as Women's Officer at ULU, I am also on this year's brilliant NUS Women's Campaign Committee. Because of this, on Tuesday I travelled to Sussex University in Brighton for the first day of NUS Liberation training. In our committee groups we were able to begin learning about each other and the best ways on working together as a team and interacting with women students. I think that Women's campaign this year is made up of excellent and committed activists and I am very pleased to be a part of this team.  It was also really good to meet members of other Liberation Committees and get some intersectional activity going.


Wednesday
So on the second and final day of NUS Liberation training I had my first NUS Women's Campaign Committee Meeting. it was great to be finally able to see how every thing worked and start discussing things as the team that we had been training to become. At the end of the long but fruitful meeting, the whole training event was one of the best training events I've ever been to. Its rare to be in a place with so many like minded people when it comes to issues like liberation and the campaigning for better representation of marginalised groups. One another note, Sussex University's campus, I kid you not, has seagulls the size of dogs. Dangerous business.




Thursday
Thursday was really exciting because all the wonderful full-time Women's officers came down to ULU for the UK Full-Time Women's Officer Meeting. It was great to be able to discuss our plans, give a tour of the office and scare Michael Chessum. Listening to everyones plans for the years, I hope all the universities that have the pleasure of having full time women's officers know how fortunate they are. In many cases, full time Women's Officers have to support other liberation campaigns, and the pressures of this can change from year to year. I urge any union who can, please invest in getting a full-time Women's Officer. Also - I had to pick a motto as one of the activities in the meeting. My one was: "Do what you want and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Friday 
My Friday morning started with me in bed, writing the first draft of ULU's new grievance and disciplinary policy for sexual harassment. I came in to speak to a journalist from the London Student, read the first issue of the year if you want to know more! Spent the rest of the day catching up on work. Yeah, Cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment