Pages

Sunday 13 April 2014

Week 36 & 37: "I've had nothing yet, so I can't take more." "You mean you can't take less"

Because of National Conference and work overload I've have to merge 2 weeks together! - enjoy!

Week 36

I started my week by opening up the registration for: I Heart Consent Workshop Training Day #3 You can check out what the training day will be about and how to register by clicking here - I'm also in pretty exciting talks with Sexpression UK about training Sexpression Trainees to go out in universities colleges and schools using the the outline I created.

I Heart Consent came abut partly because of policy passed at NUS Women's conference and because it was something that officers and activist in London wanted to happen on their campuses. The I Heart Consent campaign not a fluffy campaign, and the name isn't implying that consent "is sexy" or "trendy" - In the I Heart Consent Workshop booklet Consent is defined as "a necessary requirement in all sexual activity, no matter the nature of the relationship in question." The campaign on the whole intend to work with university, colleges and school to provide grassroots methods to incorporate consent education into society and has many SRE activists and organisations in. If you you have any questions or want to know more about it please email me at womens@ulu.lon.ac.uk - because that a reasonable way of directly finding about ULU Women's Campaigns and projects not agitative indirect facebook statues.

I got booked to meet the University of London Institute in Paris Fem Society and student officers during the Easter break! I took part in two interviews, one on student women's safety in London and the other for a student documentary on Lad Culture. I also ha had a great meeting with the UCLU Mature and Part Time Students' Officer about the Love to Care - Family Friendly Easter Meet Up :) at ULU on April the 16th which I cannot wait for!


Week 37 

I travelled to Liverpool for the 3 day NUS National Conference with SURHUL Education and Welfare Officer Sidonie at an ungodly time in the morning. I was there supporting Sky Yarlett for NUS Vice President of Society and Citizenship. Although Sky came second we're all chuffed that Piers won! Proving that an independent candidate and grassroots activist with an amazing vision and the talent to go with it can completely change the game. It was great to see and meet so many different people and pass really progressive policy. It was also really cool to be able to talk to people who were on different teams through out the conference, its important to show that in the end, the majority of us are there to get the best for students in the UK.

The day after conference, I travelled Crossroads Women's Centre in London, for a meeting with the English Collective of Prostitutes. Whilst I could have had the meeting at ULU, I really wanted to check out the Women's centre because visiting Women's Centres surprisingly isn't an opportunity I get to take up often. I had a great time talking to women there about student sex workers, Cops Off Campus, BDS, and migrant women. I'm also pretty glad that Amnesty recently came out in supports full decriminalisation of sex work.

On Saturday got up bright and early on Saturday for Black Women's Conference 2014, where I had the privilege to able to speak on the first plenary: "The intergenerational Conversation: Black Women's struggles of yesterday and today" and attend other talks and workshops organised but the amazing Black Women' Forum UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment